Soccer on TV Earns Big Ratings
For the first time, Telemundo Ranks #1 among All-Spanish Language TV Networks in Total Day Viewership for 13 Consecutive Days among Adults 18-49
Soccer News: Telemundo Sets Daytime TV Viewership Records on 11 of 14 Tournament Match Days
With the Group Stage concluding last week, Telemundo Deportes’ exclusive Spanish-language presentation of 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™ has delivered critically-acclaimed broadcasts, daily record-setting viewership metrics, and unprecedented exposure and promotion for programming across all of the network’s dayparts.
Through 48 matches over the 15 days of Group Stage competition, Telemundo Deportes’ World Cup presentation has reached 29.7 million TV viewers and generated 1.64 billion minutes, according to data from Nielsen fast cume and live+same day data, and digital metrics from Adobe Analytics.
Unprecedented Exposure Yields Double & Triple Digit Increases
Telmundo Deportes’ linear and digital coverage of the World Cup has yielded a Total Audience Delivery average of 2.3 million viewers per match across Telemundo, Universo, NBCSN, TelemundoDeportes.com, the Telemundo Deportes En Vivo app, and the NBC Sports app.
Among Telemundo’s multitude of milestones and records established during the Group Stage of the 2018 World Cup:
- For the first time in its history, Telemundo ranked as the #1 Spanish-language network in Total Day viewership for 13 consecutive days among Adults 18-49
- Telemundo ranks as the #1 Spanish-language broadcast network in Total Day for the full tournament through Wednesday, June 27, outperforming its closest competition by 49% among total viewers (1.25M vs. 838K) and 78% among Adults 18-49 (617K vs. 346K), according to Nielsen.
- Since the start of the tournament on June 14, Telemundo has dominated Spanish-language broadcast television, delivering the top 20 telecasts on Spanish-language broadcast television in Total Day among Adults 18-49, and with the top 10 telecasts among total viewers.
- Telemundo posted seven consecutive days of record-breaking daytime viewership (Sunday 6/17-Saturday 6/23) & set daytime viewership records on 11 of the 14 Group Stage match days among total viewers.
- Telemundo posted its two most-watched weekends in Total Day in history (June 16-17 and June 23-24) and on each weekend doubled the combined average viewership for all other Spanish-language U.S. broadcast networks among total viewers and Adults 18-49.
- Telemundo’s June 17 Mexico-Germany and June 23 Mexico-South Korea games are the two most-watched World Cup matches on any network this year and rank as two of the nine most-watched Spanish-language matches in World Cup history (412 matches, including World Cup finals, since 1994). The matches also rank as the two most-watched sports broadcasts in the network’s history.
- Telemundo continues to dominate in major Hispanic markets. Through 40 game windows, World Cup matches on Telemundo have ranked #1 among Adults 18-49 in Spanish-language 92% of the time in the Top 14 Hispanic markets with Local People Meters (513 of 560 windows in those markets).
- Telemundo Deportes’ Digital has delivered the four most-watched livestream single-day events in Spanish-language history during the 2018 World Cup. The June 27 Mexico-Sweden match holds the all-time Spanish-language record with 6.9 million livestreams.
- The Mexico-Sweden Group Stage finale peaked at 1.02 million concurrent livestreams – the most for any event in NBC Sports Digital history, excluding Super Bowls, and the only event other than the Super Bowl to hit the 1 million mark.
- Telemundo Deportes has generated 1.64 MILLION total minutes – pacing to easily become the most-consumed multi-day event in Spanish-language history.
- For the full World Cup, Telemundo Deportes digital coverage of the tournament has reached 10.7 million total unique users, generating a record 105.3 million livestreams.
- For the tournament to date, Telemundo Deportes has added more than 140,000 social fans. In the last full week of the tournament, fans have generated over 4,000 comments and nearly 7,000 shares per day on Facebook.
- Telemundo was the #1 most socially engaged network across all broadcast and cable this past Wednesday, June 28, and on Thursday, June 29, Copa Mundial de la FIFA 2018 on Telemundo was the #1 most socially engaged sports program.
Source: TV data based on Nielsen. Total Day: L+SD, 6/14/18-6/27/18, M-Su 6a-2a strict daypart. Prime: Most Current (Live+7 through 6/10/18 & Live+SD from 6/4-6/27/18), 6/14-6/27/18 vs. 5/14/18-6/10/18, M-F 8-11pm strict daypart. Program data: L+SD, 6/14/18-6/27/18 vs. 5/14/18-6/10/18, comparisons for Al Rojo Vivo (M-F), Noticias Telemundo (M-F) & Titulares y Mas (M-Su) based on prior 4-wk program average. Un Nuevo Dia and all World Cup shoulder program comparisons based on prior 4-wk time periods (live feed pattern). Fast national cume based on 6-minute qualifier, 6/14/18-6/28/18. TAD is based on match window duration.
Source: Nielsen Social Content Ratings, linear program-level metrics, Talkwalker Social Analytics; Adobe Analytics