The Best of the Best Kicks off This Weekend — for Another Year of Elite Youth Soccer Competition
The prestigious San Diego Surf Cup is known as the youth soccer competition of the Best of the Best — and the 2017 event is preparing to kick off this weekend. The gorgeous soccer fields at the Surf Cup Sports Park in Del Mar and the SoCal Sports Complex in Oceanside will be packed with soccer loving coaches, players and fans as another year of competitive soccer returns to America’s Finest City.
Youth Soccer News: The annual San Diego Surf Cup is preparing to kick off this weekend as elite youth teams from across the country and abroad gather for another year of soccer action in Southern California.
The event expects to welcome over 36,000 elite youth soccer players, coaches, college scouts and spectators to the region. A boom for the local economy — Surf Cup Sports brings in millions of dollars to San Diego and this tournament is known as the Best of the Best.
Top Youth Soccer Competition
One of America’s best youth soccer tournaments and internationally respected, Surf Cup is a highly competitive event — and even being accepted to compete is a great compliment.
This year, Surf Cup received 1234 applications from youth soccer teams and only 836 were accepted.
While many youth soccer tournaments have seen a significant drop in attendance, Surf Cup has sustained consistency growth.
- In 2015, 868 applied and 696 were accepted.
- In 2016, 1075 teams applied and 808 were accepted.
There is a special feeling being at Surf Cup — unlike so many other youth soccer tournaments which have games in multiple venues, Surf Cup is similar to the best and biggest tournaments in Europe. At Surf Cup, you can look across 20+ soccer fields and watch great soccer action being played on pristine, professional-quality fields.
All matches are played on gorgeous grass fields — and both venues are just a few miles from the Pacific Ocean.
Fun Facts on this year’s Surf Cup:
- Players are participating in a legendary youth soccer tournament. The first Surf Cup was held in 1980.
- Tons of famous soccer players played in Surf Cup — For example, Alex Morgan and Landon Donovan both played in Surf Cup as youth soccer players.
- Over the years, youth soccer teams from every state in the USA have come to San Diego to compete in Surf Cup.
- This internationally respected youth soccer tournament has attracted teams from England, Ireland, Australia, Japan, Mexico, Philippines (Guam), Canada, Costa Rica, Jamaica and many other countries.
- 370 referees will be on-site for the event.
Venues: All the Boys teams play at the Surf Cup Sports Park in Del Mar Boys and the Girls teams compete at So Cal Sports Complex in Oceanside, California.
Surf Cup’s Tournament Director Michelle Romero and her staff work tirelessly to produce the highest quality event imaginable — and provide every player with a wonderful and memorable experience.
This year, players competing in Surf Cup can have their picture taken for Free at the Surf Cup Photo Studio — all pictures will be uploaded to the Surf Cup Sports Facebook and can be easily downloaded — and, of course, Shared and Liked.
- Great food on site — The famous Teriyaki Chicken Bowls along with other athlete-healthy options are available.
- Fabulous Surf Cup Merchandise from Soccer.com can be pre-ordered.
- Teams from over 100 top youth soccer clubs are competing in this year’s Surf Cup as well as teams from the 12 Surf Affiliates — players all the way from Hawaii to New York, Seattle to Utah — are coming to San Diego to compete.